PhD, LPC, LMFT
BRCCC Director since 1991
Full-time Christian Counselor since 1988
Certified EFT Therapist
- Would it be helpful to talk to someone with an objective point of view?
- Do you long for better relationships?
- Is communication the issue?
- Do you love your spouse, just not “in love”?
- Do you want a counselor who is warmly directive and says more than “And how does that make you feel?”
I can help you sort out your issues and help you make changes to have a more satisfying and meaningful life. My aim is to be a vehicle for God’s healing in people’s lives and relationships.
In my career, I have done over 25,000 hours of counseling.
My therapy is solution-oriented as I help both women and men struggling with:
- Couple and Marriage Counseling
- EFT (Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy)
- Relationship issues
- Communication problems
- Inhibited, low or no sex drive
- Affair recovery
- Loss and Grief
- Dealing with cancer
- Birth mother counseling
- Home Studies for Adoption
I often work with individuals, and specialize in marriage & couple counseling.
My degrees are from Ohio State, Michigan State and I received my doctorate from Florida State University in 1982. I have been on the faculty of both LSU and Louisiana Tech teaching marriage & child development classes. Also I am licensed as an
LPC – Licensed Professional Counselor
LMFT – Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
and am certified in
EFT – Emotionally Focused Therapy
I have been married since 1980 to a wonderful man, Pete Adams. I became a Christian in Pittsburgh in 1967 through Young Life. My husband and I are long time members of the Chapel on the Campus, a nondenominational church on LSU’s campus.
Call me ….. I want to provide a safe place for you to talk!
Click here to schedule an appointment
Or new clients can call (225) 387-2287 to schedule your first appointment
- Dr Adam’s Office Hours
- Dr Adam’s Forms
- Initial Individual or Couple Evaluation Session: $170
- Individual 45-50 minute session: $150
- Couple 45-50 minute session: $150
- Session & a half 75 minute session: $225
- Dee accepts cash, check, and credit card payments
- Dr Adams does not take insurance but can provide a receipt with a diagnosis for you to file with your insurance company for reimbursement
In 2011, Dr. Adams was the first certified EFT Therapist in Louisiana.
What IS Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT)?
The message of EFT is simple: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE BOND
EFT has an astounding 70 – 75% success rate and results have been shown to last, even in the face of significant stress. Research shows approximately 90% of couples show significant improvements. In comparison, usual couples counseling is proven to be only about 20-35% effective.
Forget about learning how to argue better,
analyzing your early childhood, or
making grand romantic gestures.
Instead, recognize and admit that you are emotionally attached to and dependent on your partner (or want that safe haven) in much the same way that a child is bonded to a parent for nurturing, soothing, and protection.
EFT focuses on creating and strengthening this emotional bond by identifying and transforming the key moments that foster an adult loving relationship.
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE BOND AND KNOWING HOW TO BE ATTACHED, NOT BREAK THE BOND, AND QUICKLY REPAIR IT WHEN DISTRESS OCCURS.
Stops the patterns paralyzing most couples:
EFT doesn’t take years of therapy, like other couples counseling.
EFT is a 9 STEP, short term (12-20 sessions), structured approach to couples therapy formulated by Drs. Sue Johnson and Les Greenberg.
EFT is recognized by the American Psychological Association as empirically proven. It really works.
Please click to read about Dr. Susan Johnson’s EFT book for couples “Hold Me Tight”: http://www.holdmetight.net/